There is nothing like some chocolate to treat yourself.
This is so easy to bake and ideal for a birthday while in lockdown. Serves 20.
3 cups (750 ml) cake flour
1¼ cups (310 ml) sugar
4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
6 tbsp (90 ml) cocoa
2 cups (500 ml) hot water
½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
5 tbsp (75 ml) sunflower oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) white grape vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla essence
150 ml sugar
300 ml water
1 tbsp (15 ml) soft tub margarine
¼ cup (60 ml) cocoa
½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla essence
3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
1 tbsp (15 ml) grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to a 180 °C and line a large rectangular (20 x 30 cm) baking tin or oven dish with baking paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. Mix the liquids together and gradually fold into the dry ingredients. Pour batter into tin or dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the tin and cool.
- Topping: Meanwhile, place all the ingredients, except the chocolate, in a pot and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently. Stir until the mixture thickens. Cool slightly and pour over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Courtesy of Cooking from the Heart SA.