Explore your backyard
The small forestry town of Graskop, perched on the edge of the Drakensberg escarpment, is only a few minutes drive from God’s Window, Bourke’s Luck Potholes, Blyde River Canyon and Three Rondawels. It is also within easy reach of waterfalls such as Lisbon Falls, Berlin Falls and Mac Mac Falls. Its high altitude contributes to Graskop’s temperate climate, high rainfall and mist.
- The Graskop Gorge Lift: Be transported by a glass lift from the edge of the Graskop Gorge, to the beautiful indigenous forest below. Wooden walkways take you past the base of the waterfall into a forest wonderland. There is a restaurant, The Lift Cafe, an art gallery and craft shops on site. http://graskopgorgeliftcompany.co.za.
- Adrenalin-seekers should head for the Big Swing next door.
- Forrest Falls: Great walk between Sabie and Graskop. Park at the old railway crossing and hike +- 2 km on forestry road. Walk through the forests of the Panorama Route.
- Fan Falls Walking Trail: Starts at the Boskombuis (about 30km from Graskop) and goes towards Bourkes Luck Potholes.
- The Graskop Day Trail starts at the Graskop Hut, which forms part of the Fanie Botha overnight hiking trail. It is a Circular Route of 13.3 km. Allow for about 3 to 4 hours. You will need a permit and to sign an indemnity register. The permit can be bought from the Graskop Information Bureau in the main street for R20 per person.
- Graskop Park Run (Jock Park Run): It is also a hiking and mountain bike route. The event takes place at The Jock Trail, Graskop Horse Stables, corner of Oorwinning Street and Bloedrivier Avenue, Graskop, every Saturday. www.parkrun.co.za/jocktrail.
- Explore the art scene: The White Lily Art Gallery & Curio Shop, Delagoa Trading, MAP Gallery, Sunlight Gallery, and Curio D’Afrique.
- Afternoon Drinks on the Graskop Hotel deck, which is also home to an amazing art collection. www.graskophotel.co.za
- Waterfall hopping: Visit Lisbon Falls, Berlin Falls and Mac Mac Falls.
- Graskop Window Rock – on the God’s Window loop.
- Blyde Swimming Pool: Secret location revealed! From Graskop towards Bourkes Luck Potholes, 8km from Graskop on the left hand side, after second God’s Window turnoff. Very good place to take a dip after sightseeing.
- Beautiful wildflowers around Graskop. December to March: Graskop lilys, Shooting Stars or Crocosmia, Red-hot Pokers. February to April: Agapanthus Graskop named after this area and Watsonias. May to June: Aloes.
- The Fanie Botha Hiking Trail has various trail options ranging from two to five nights. The trail can be started from the Ceylon, Graskop or President Burger Huts. The shortest route is 17,1km and the longest is 58,8km.
- Have a waffle at the Graskop Waffle House – practically an institution.