We reveal some favourite gems to see, do and visit in White River
White River (Witrivier) is a small holiday and farming town situated just north of Mbombela in Mpumalanga,. The farms produce tropical fruits, vegetables, flowers and timber. It is known for his beauty and exception location. Lush landscapes and a humid temperature, it also the gateway to the Kruger National Park. After the Boer War, the British demarcated land on the Emanzimhlope River, a tributary of the Crocodile River. Emanzimhlope translates from Swazi as ‘White Waters’. This land was given to British Anglo-Boer War soldiers. The longest street at the time was named Tom Lawrence, who was the first manager of the new settlement.
- Casterbridge Lifestyle Centre: Just outside town on the R40, this centre, situated in a mango grove, is a meccah for restaurants and shops. You will also find a second-hand book shop, a nouveau art cinema, a gin bar for drinks and tastings called Gin & Co, the White River Gallery, the Motor Museum showcasing over 60 cars from all different eras and Sakkies Farmyard – an adventure course, farmyard and play area for kids.
- Check out Bagdad Centre, also on the R40 for lots of great dining options.
- Da Loose Mongoose on the Plaston Road is a lovely outdoor restaurant with great views and lots of space to while away your time. Facebook/ Da Loose Mongoose Country Restaurant and Pizzeria
- Bahati Centre offers a nursery, Dandelion Café, a kid’s friendly restaurant with a big outside area, an art gallery, health shop, and Shen Centre; an acupuncture clinic.
- White River Crossings is a great supermarket hub.
- In town, discover cafes, the White River Library, and a second hand bookstore.
- Pine Lake Inn is on Lake Longmere and open to day visitors for fishing.
- Take your boat or fishing rods to Klipkopjes Dam, Primkop and Witkip Dam. Da Gama Dam offers two man canoes, bass boats, peddle boats and rowing boats available to anglers and braai areas.
- Oliver’s is a beautiful space on the White River Golf course for sundowners, any meal, or a spa treatment. http://olivers.co.za/
- BFM is the local famers market, held at Casterbridge on the first Saturday of every month. Sue 073 590 8825.
- The White River Country Club and Golf Course offers a number of facilities and has a restaurant, bar and putting green. https://www.whiterivercountryclub.co.za/
- Buy your fresh fruit and veg from the blue bakkie outside White River Primary. Known to be the freshest.
- If you are a keen sportsman, visit White River Bowls Club (Francois Hanekom, 073 934 2350) and the White River Rugby Club.
- Try your hand at motocross at Mana Motocross located on the Manna Church property next to the R40. Brenda 082 331 9431.
- Aviation junkies can visit LOMAC, a social club for radio controlled model aircraft pilots. Solomon Street, Rockys drift. email@example.com
- Visit Ingwenyama Conference & Sports Resort – they have a gym, a driving range, and the park run is held there every Saturday morning. www.parkrun.co.za/whiteriver/
- Buy fish & chips from Uncle Georges.
- Enjoy a Sunday roast at the Winkler Hotel and the Karula Hotel.
- The White River Reserve is a nature reserve in the middle of town. Find it on the open piece of land between the suburb of Parkville and the White River Rugby Club. It is home to the endemic Aloe simii species, which is classified as critically endangered.
- White River forms part of the Panorama route and is a stone’s throw away from Mozambique for a day’s trip into Maputo.
- Explore the local Artists Route – Ezra Bosch, Anton and Hanlie Bosch and Rene Eloff Studio’s on the Plaston Road
- White River is legendary for its MTO Trails for cyclists and runners.
- Legogote is the distinctive rock formation that is the town’s trademark, resembling a lion’s head. The pinnacle is a huge granite rock and stands at 1194 metres above sea level