Need to know about the 7 Kruger wilderness walking trails?
Five steps to booking your trail
- The first step to getting on a trail is to check the availability, which you can find on the SANParks website. On page one you will see the seven wilderness trails, and will note that they depart on Sundays and Wednesdays all year round (except for a few weeks around Christmas, when they are maintained).
- The minimum group size is two, the maximum eight. Note that since 1 February 2019 it is no longer possible to book on a per person basis. If you are solo or have an odd-numbered group, try and find an extra person to share the cost and the experience.
- Hikers on Kruger’s Wilderness Trails need to be reasonably fit, as walks can be up to five hours in hot conditions. You have to be over 12 years old to participate. Walkers over 65 years old are asked to bring a letter of fitness from their doctor.
- It’s recommended to stay in the base camp on the night before your trail, but as they meet at 15:00 and end before lunchtime, it’s possible to do them without booking other accommodation in the park. But don’t underestimate the travel time and arrive late. Check SANParks’ suggested travel time from the gate to the base camp and plan accordingly.
- When you are ready to book, the easiest way is to sign into the SANParks site and book online. You can also email email@example.com or call Central Reservations +27 (0)12 428 9111 or mobile +27 (0)82 233 9111.
Note: Bushmans camp is under renovation after a kitchen fire, and planned to reopen in April 2019. Olifants will be renovated from December 2019 to March 2020.
Credit: Denis Costello